Flashcard Games – Say It! Starter Sounds
This game aims at promoting memory, quick thinking and vocabulary building skills.
A fun game which can be played at school or at home.
For this game, you will need 5 flashcards, a box or tray and a cloth to cover it with.
- Place 5 alphabet flashcards in a box or tray and cover it with a piece of cloth.
- Ask your students to stand in a circle.
- Give the covered box or tray to one of the students.
- Play music on your device.
- Then ask your students to pass the box or covered tray around till the music stops.
- When the music stops, the student holding the box must take out a card and call out a word that starts with the chosen letter. (For example, “˜A’ for “˜Apple’)
- The student standing next will remember the first word and then say a word of their own starting with the same letter. (For example, “˜Apple’, “˜Ant’)
- The next student follows the same procedure (For example, “˜Apple’, “˜Ant’, “˜Aeroplane’)
- This continues till the entire class has had a turn coming up with a new word.
- Students are encouraged not to repeat words. If they cannot think of another word, they can consult the teacher.
- Once every student has had a turn, switch on the music and continue the game.